FDNY: 5 injured in Bushwick building fire caused by lithium-ion battery from e-bike

Officials say the fire broke out in the living room of an apartment on the second floor at 120 Menahan St. just after 4:45 a.m.

News 12 Staff and Faith Graham

Oct 17, 2023, 11:38 AM

Updated 274 days ago

Share:

Five people were injured in an early Tuesday morning fire in Brooklyn due to a lithium-ion battery from an e-bike, according to the FDNY.
Officials say the fire broke out in the living room of an apartment on the second floor of a seven-story building at 120 Menahan St. just after 4:45 a.m. It took about 60 firefighters and EMS personnel to get the fire under control.
The FDNY says three of the victims were rescued from the apartment while two others were rescued from the seventh floor. Two of them were listed in critical condition, one of them in serious condition and two children are stable.
The FDNY say 216 fires have been caused by lithium-ion batteries so far this year. Fourteen people have died and 120 people have been injured.


More from News 12