Guide: Mental health resources available in the tri-state

If you or someone you know is struggling and needs help - below are some resources available in the tri-state:


988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline. Available 24/7.


Connecticut’s state website has a number of mental health resources, including resources for coping with the COVID-19 pandemic.
211 of Connecticut offers links with comprehensive, up-to-date information on programs and services that can assist with mental health care.
Warm Lines are telephone support services staffed by people who have experience/expertise with mutual support. These lines are not crisis lines and the days/hours of operation vary. has more information on suicide prevention and resources.
Detox also has resources for residents.


Suicide prevention: NJ Hope Line - 855-654-6735
NJ Mental Health Cares: 866-202-4357 | Email:
Veterans Counseling Hotline: 866-838-7654
Youth Helpline of New Jersey - 888-222-2228
Mom 2 Mom: 877-914-6662 | Website
The Division of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) serves adults with serious and persistent mental illnesses. Services are available to anyone in the state who feels they need help with a mental health problem. 
HERE you can find information on receiving services in the New Jersey public mental health system.
New Jersey 211 offers links with information on programs and services that can assist with mental health care.
HERE find resources for talk lines and warm lines, and what services they provide.


The New York State Office of Mental Health offers an array of mental health resources, including help for anxiety due to the pandemic, and ways to search for mental health programs.
Need help now? Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or text Got5 to 741-741.
Are you a frontline worker? Text FRONTLINENY to 741-741 for specialized support.
CLICK HERE to find a mental health program in New York.


Eligible veterans can get care through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. For more information, go to or call 1-877-222-8387.


You can find affordable mental health services through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Visit SAMHSA's treatment locator or call 1-800-662-HELP (4357).

Signs and symptoms:

RWJBarnabas Health says you or a family member should consider seeking care if you notice these sympstoms:
● Unusual mood changes and increased difficulty in controlling emotions;
● Significant changes in sleeping and/or eating (less than usual or more than usual);
● Excessive worry, anxiety, or sadness that lasts for more than a couple of weeks;
● Decreased performance at work for adults or at school for children and youth;
● Noticeable decrease in concentration, problem solving skills and memory;
● Atypical social isolation from friends and family;
● Increased use of alcohol, prescription medication (above physician recommended doses) and\or over the counter medications.