Neighbors of Prospect Lefferts Gardens apartment building call for landlord to repair damage from fire

Neighbors of an apartment building in Prospect Lefferts Gardens are calling for the building’s landlord to repair the damage inflicted by a fire back in December.
According to the FDNY, the fire at the apartment on 80 Clarkson Avenue was accidentally caused by electrical building wiring on the top floor’s ceiling.
Public records state that the building is owned by Brian Ritter, the second worst landlord on Public Advocate Jumaane Williams' list.
Neighbors working with the Flatbush Tenants Coalition met Thursday in the hopes of pressuring the landlord to have the damage fixed along with dozens of repairs tenants say have been overlooked.
Neighbors tell News 12 that the building has a slew of issues, including a history of electrical complaints. The Flatbush Tenants Coalition says the building has been the sire of four fires over the past 10 years.
“Fire travels through walls. I don't know what's going to happen. I don't know if things will be safe. I've had water leaks in my apartment. Is that going to spark an electrical fire? I don't, I don't know,” said tenant Heather Scott.
News 12 reached out to the building’s management company and is waiting to hear back.