NY Attorney General: 2 NYPD officers involved in death of Ronald Anthony Smith will not face charges

Smith was struck and killed by an NYPD vehicle operated by two officers in April 2022.

News 12 Staff

May 23, 2023, 2:28 AM

Updated 422 days ago

Share:

A new report from Attorney General Letitia James’ office announced that the two NYPD officers involved in Ronald Anthony Smith’s death will not face charges. 
Smith was struck and killed by an NYPD vehicle 13 months ago. The driver and passenger were NYPD officers Orkhan Mamedov and Evan Siegel, who will not be prosecuted. For Julie Floyd, Smith’s sister, her meeting with the attorney general left her feeling hopeless. 
“They should’ve been fired last year… yet, both of these officers are still on the force,” said Floyd.  
The attorney general’s report detailed that both officers were transporting individuals in custody. The report states it was an emergency vehicle operation in which the officers were speeding and driving in lanes like the median, which is allowed. The family’s attorney thinks otherwise.
“We watched the video, we saw the lights and sirens, and they actually have none of the traffic laws apply to them, but they do… this recklessness cost a man his life,” said attorney David Rankin. 
The report from the attorney general’s office states that after thorough investigation, there is insufficient evidence to prove the accident was a criminally negligent homicide, which is why no charges have been filed. 
The attorney general's office filed the following statement in response:
"While criminal charges could not be legally justified, we recommended important policy changes to the NYPD to prevent such incidents from occurring in the future. We extend our deepest condolences to the Smith family."


More from News 12