FDNY: Space heater caused fatal fire in Flatbush

A space heater was the cause of Monday's fire in Flatbush that left one dead and sent multiple people to the hospital, according to the FDNY.
The FDNY says that the fire was accidental, electrical and caused by a space heater plugged into a power strip. It says the fire broke out at around 5 a.m.
Seven people were taken to the hospital, five of them with minor injuries and the others with more serious injuries. Witnesses say one man identified as 70-year-old Jean Lalanne, who lived in the building at 1776 Nostrand Ave., jumped from his window.
He later died due to his injuries. Neighbors say he was too sick to walk down the stairs, which is why they say he jumped out the window.
Cleanup is now underway and officials continue to warn residents that using a strip to power a space heater may be dangerous.
The U.S. Department of Energy is also advising owners to have their vented space heaters professionally inspected each year. They say to pick a heater that is the right size for your room.