Seaside Heights officials are warning would-be troublemakers to think twice ahead of Memorial Day weekend, as the borough ramps up police presence in an effort to prevent a repeat of last year’s chaos.
Authorities say the message is simple: cause problems, face consequences.
Last summer, the shore town saw more than 100 arrests and three stabbings during the summer.
This year, officials say they’re prepared with a coordinated plan to keep the crowds under control.
“We’re coming in full force. We’re not going to take any nonsense,” said Mayor Tony Vaz. “We’re bringing in the FBI, state police, we have dogs. We’ve come up with a systematic plan in the event we need to make arrests or control crowds.”
Visitors say the added presence is reassuring.
“It’s a good idea to have more rather than less and just be prepared for anything,” said Kalie Denike, of Freehold.
The unofficial start to summer has already brought rowdy scenes to other Jersey Shore towns, including Long Branch, where several teens and adults were arrested.
Beachgoers say they’ve seen social media posts for pop up events in other towns.
“I saw beach parties in places like Ocean City and Wildwood,” said Raquel DiBacco, of Pennsylvania.
In response, Seaside Heights is rolling out new restrictions.
A 10 p.m. curfew will be in place for minors on the boardwalk and streets. From 1 a.m. to 5 a.m., no one is allowed on the boardwalk.
Additionally, anyone under 21 staying in a rental property must be accompanied by an adult through June 30.
Officials say enforcement will include summonses and arrests not only for teens but potentially for their parents as well.
“This is a shore community. Have fun, enjoy yourself—but be respectful,” Mayor Vaz said.