Bronx DA dismisses charges in alleged sex abuse of female EMT worker

Bronx District Attorney Darcel Clark says her office has dismissed charges against a Bronx man accused of groping a female EMT worker at a fire scene.

News 12 Staff

Feb 3, 2021, 9:50 PM

Updated 1,229 days ago

Share:

Bronx DA dismisses charges in alleged sex abuse of female EMT worker
Bronx District Attorney Darcel Clark says her office has dismissed charges against a Bronx man accused of groping a female EMT worker at a fire scene. 
According to the fire chief at the fire scene in the Bronx on Jan. 28, a 32-year-old EMT saw a man collapse on the ground nearby and stepped away to offer help. That’s when the chief says she was assaulted.
Police had said 52-year-old Aaron Cervantes groped the EMT's chest and crotch over her clothing. Cervantes had been charged with one count of forcible touching and one count of sexual abuse.
The Bronx DA’s Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Bureau and the NYPD Bronx Special Victims Squad say they reviewed surveillance video from a nearby store camera. They say the camera shows Cervantes stagger and fall in a crosswalk at the intersection of Commonwealth and Westchester avenues as he was walking to work. 
They say people stopped to assist and waved over at EMTs who were across the street and a female EMT worker responded to their request for help. 
According to the news release, Cervantes is seen lying on the ground in the crosswalk and grabbing the female EMT worker’s clothing during a seizure. The release says the EMT worker moved his hand away without any assistance while covered in protective gear from head to toe. 
Cervantes did not appear to have control of his hands, according to the release. 
“I will not tolerate assaults on first responders, who courageously serve our city, especially during this pandemic; and I will not prosecute anyone unless there is evidence to support charges," Clark said. "After an intensive investigation, we have dismissed and will not charge forcible touching, sex abuse or felony assault on a police officer, firefighter or EMS professional, against Aaron Cervantes-Mejia. He was the subject of a false narrative that spread quickly through the media and social media.”


More from News 12