Carbon monoxide leak sparks evacuations in Vinegar Hill

Residents at an apartment building in Vinegar Hill were evacuated early Saturday morning due to an apparent carbon monoxide leak.

News 12 Staff

Mar 30, 2019, 10:42 PM

Updated 1,849 days ago

Share:

Carbon monoxide leak sparks evacuations in Vinegar Hill
Residents at an apartment building in Vinegar Hill were evacuated early Saturday morning due to an apparent carbon monoxide leak.
Officials say the call came in around 3 a.m. at 233 Sands St. Emergency responders helped treat a few people -- including children -- for carbon monoxide poisoning.
Fire officials say a defective boiler was likely the cause of the leak. Crews shut off a hot water tank and evacuated residents along two lines at the building as a precaution.
NYCHA said in a statement that heating staff is making repairs to one boiler that was experiencing issues. Staff advised residents to check their carbon monoxide detectors, and residents who weren't home at the time were being asked to contact the customer center at 718-707-7771 for assistance.


More from News 12