Mother: Son suffered electrical shock, 3rd-degree burns at school

A mother from Brownsville says her 7-year-old son suffered an electrical shock and third-degree burns while at school.

News 12 Staff

Mar 26, 2019, 10:05 PM

Updated 1,852 days ago

Share:

Mother: Son suffered electrical shock, 3rd-degree burns at school
A mother from Brownsville says her 7-year-old son suffered an electrical shock and third-degree burns while at school.
Jelani Bovian says he used his hand to cover a sparking electrical socket in his second-grade classroom.
He says he didn't want his school, P.S. 156 in Brownsville, to catch on fire. His mother, Tatyana Burkett, tells News 12 she's furious at the school for not taking care of the outlet.
Burkett says she's lost faith in the school after her son got third-degree burns on school property. She says officials didn't call the police or an ambulance, and treated Jelani's electrical burns as if it was nothing.
Burkett says she took Jelani to the ER at SUNY Downstate Medical Center.
The Department of Education tells News 12, "The safety of students and staff is our top priority, and this is being investigated. We will ensure appropriate follow-up action is taken."
 


More from News 12