Noyack rental home owners face 29 code violations following fatal fire

Court records show that the owners of an East End home where two sisters died in a fire earlier this month received 29 code violations related to rental, plumbing, and building permits.
News 12 reported that the two sisters from Maryland, 19-year-old Lindsay Weiner and 21-year-old Jillian Weiner, were killed in a fire that broke out at a home in Noyack on Spring Lane. Three others escaped. The family had been vacationing at the rental home when the fire erupted on Aug. 3.
Pamela and Peter Miller were in Southampton Justice Court to face those citations.
The owners did receive certificates of occupancy for major renovations inside the home. However, inspectors found issues regarding work done outside of the house.
According to those citations, the owners also did not receive a certificate of compliance for their plumbing system.
Southampton town officials believe the fatal fire started in the outdoor kitchen.
According to Southampton, the outdoor kitchen area, including the connected utilities, were entirely unpermitted. The smoke detectors were not properly maintained and there were no carbon monoxide detectors.
Other charges were also alleged relating to various items inside the home and the safety of the pool.
News 12 reached out to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office about any potential criminal charges. It said that “it’s still in discussion.”
Rental sites like Airbnb state it is the homeowner's responsibility to comply with local laws.