Officials: Crown Heights fire kills 79-year-old woman
A 79-year-old woman was killed and several others were injured after a three-alarm fire broke out at a building in Crown Heights Friday morning, officials say.
The fire began inside of a storefront at 291 Buffalo Ave., near Eastern Parkway, just before 6 a.m.
Sources identified the deceased as Betty Roberts. She lived on the second floor of the building and died at the scene.
Three others suffered severe smoke inhalation and were hospitalized in critical condition, officials say.
The fire chief says it appears the fire may have started inside a deli on the ground level of the building.
Investigators say the fire was accidental and was sparked by a power cord.
Fire marshals say there were no working fire alarms found at the scene. The FDNY set up a smoke alarm giveaway after the fire.
The Red Cross says that more than 15 families, consisting of nearly 50 people, will have to temporarily relocate as a result of the fire.
Several stores, including the deli where officials say the fire started, closed for the day.