Officials: Manhole fire melts pipe, causes CO leak in East Flatbush homes

A building in East Flatbush was completely evacuated Saturday due to high levels of carbon monoxide.

News 12 Staff

Mar 2, 2019, 11:17 PM

Updated 1,877 days ago

Share:

Officials: Manhole fire melts pipe, causes CO leak in East Flatbush homes
About 10 homes in East Flatbush were evacuated Saturday when a manhole fire melted a gas pipe that began to leak carbon monoxide.
Fire Chief James Goelz says workers from National Grid and dozens of firefighters were able to get the situation under control.
No one was hospitalized.
According to Con Edison, several manholes were smoking on Remsen Avenue and buildings were experiencing electrical outages because the utility needed to isolate the cables.
Con Edison says the underground electrical fire was most likely sparked by a mix of salt and water. A spokesperson said there was about 200 manhole fires around the borough between Friday and Saturday.


More from News 12