FDNY: Deadly Crown Heights apartment fire was caused by e-scooter battery

The fire began in the three-story building at 242 Albany Avenue at around 4:30 a.m., according to the FDNY.

News 12 Staff

Nov 13, 2023, 12:06 PM

Updated 196 days ago

Share:

The FDNY says an e-scooter battery caused a Crown Heights apartment fire that killed three family members and hurt 14 others on Sunday morning.
The fire began in the three-story building at 242 Albany Ave. at around 4:30 a.m., according to the FDNY. Fire crews recovered two charred electric scooters from the house. 
Authorities identified the three people killed as 81-year-old Albertha, 58-year-old Michael and 33-year-old Jamiyl West. 
The FDNY described the fire as difficult and dangerous to address. Crews arrived in less than four minutes and battled the blaze for around two hours. A firefighter was among the 14 other people who were hurt.
According to the FDNY, the death toll from lithium-ion battery fires this year is now at 17. FDNY Commissioner Laura Kavanaugh said that one of the biggest factors in preventing these fires is for online retailers to stop selling these types of devices. 
The building appeared to be a total loss as of Monday morning. Authorities say at this time, no one is allowed back inside.


More from News 12