Rebuilding Brooklyn
News12 New York
Where to Watch
Download the App
Local
Crime
Weather
Taking Action
beWell
The East End
Crime Files
LIRR latest

Illegal tunnel under a synagogue in NYC is 60 feet long and destabilized nearby buildings, city says

New York building officials have issued emergency work orders to stabilize a historic synagogue and its neighboring structures after an illicit underground tunnel was discovered at the sanctuary earlier this week.

Associated Press

Jan 11, 2024, 6:49 AM

Updated

Share:

More Stories

The illegal tunnel discovered under a historic Brooklyn synagogue compromised the stability of several structures surrounding the religious complex, prompting an order to vacate as well as citations against its owners, city officials said.

Inspectors with New York City’s building safety agency uncovered a tunnel that was 60 feet (18.3 meters) long and 8 feet (2.4 meters) wide beneath the Chabad-Lubavitch global headquarters in Crown Heights. It extended under several buildings in the vicinity, connecting between openings cut into basement walls.

The excavation work was done without approval by the Department of Buildings, Andrew Rudansky, a spokesperson for the agency, said in an email to the Associated Press on Wednesday.

The findings came after a two-day investigation into the structural stability of the complex, an internationally revered Hasidic Jewish site that draws thousands of visitors each year.

Rabbi Motti Seligson, a spokesperson for Chabad, said the underground passage was built by a group of “young agitators” seeking unauthorized access to the synagogue. When Chabad officials attempted to seal the openings on Monday, a faction of worshippers staged a protest, refusing to leave the tunnel and eventually brawling with police. Nine people were arrested, including some who used crowbars to rip off the synagogue’s wood paneling, according to a police report.

It was not immediately clear when the tunnel was constructed or what it was intended to accomplish. Some members of the community said they were hoping to fulfill the “expansion” plan of the former head of the Chabad movement, Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson. A faction of Chabad believes that Schneerson is the messiah and is still alive.

Levi Huebner, an attorney for five of the men arrested, said his clients may have suffered from a “little naivete,” but had no intention of harming the building structurally.

“I’m 100% confident they wouldn’t go near anything, do anything to disrupt the foundation of the synagogue in any way whatsoever,” Huebner said.

City inspectors said the excavation had undermined the stability of two single-story structures behind the synagogue. An adjacent two-story brick building containing offices and lecture halls used by Chabad was also ordered vacated due to the illegal removal of fire-rated walls in the building’s cellar. They said the building containing the synagogue was not destabilized. It remains closed to worshippers.

Rundansky said the department has cited the synagogue for the illegal excavation work that created the tunnel, but confirmed that the owners are taking the appropriate steps to fix it.

More Stories

Top Stories

00:36
FIFA World Cup

NYC partners with NY and NJ Host Committee to secure 1,000 affordable World Cup tickets

00:53
KLNFULTONSTPARTIALCOLLAPSE52126830A_2026-05-21-12-00-53

Supermarket in Cypress Hill to remain closed after partial collapse

01:15
NYCR

Rain and cooler temperatures in Brooklyn

01:26
521doubleshootingnoon_2026-05-21-12-34-56

Two people injured in Bed-Stuy shooting

AP25167649344356

Joey Chestnut to defend hot dog eating title while on probation after pleading guilty to battery

01:56
521edricstormafteramth_2026-05-21-06-26-18

Overnight storms topple trees, leaves behind damage across Brooklyn

00:36
Fire truck generic

Firefighter, two civilians injured in Red Hook apartment blaze

01:53
521rebuildingbrooklyn_2026-05-21-06-50-39

Kensington streets get flood-fighting makeover led by trailblazing NYC engineer

02:06
rtdesert5spotnyCM_2026-05-20-22-59-18

Desert 5 Spot brings the Wild West to Williamsburg

01:37
myrtleave2ndalarmfireCM_2026-05-20-22-33-43

2-alarm fire in Bushwick injures 1 firefighter, displaces multiple tenants

kevingavinpleadeal1030pmCM_2026-04-24-22-39-07

Brooklyn serial killer sentenced to 30 years to life in prison for the murders of 3 elderly NYCHA residents

01:59
abandonedcarparkedforweeksCM_2026-05-20-22-47-35

Abandoned cars in Kensington raise concerns from homeowners

01:13
sackettststabbingUPDATE530pZC_2026-05-20-17-38-35

Stabbing inside Gowanus supportive housing building sparks safety concerns

02:01
disabilityprogramcutsCM_2026-05-20-22-18-10

Disability advocates warn Independence Care System closure could be ‘life‑changing’

02:07
KLNREMEMBERINGERYKACALDWELL0520530P_2026-05-20-17-53-27

Family and friends remember woman allegedly stabbed to death by boyfriend in Bushwick apartment

00:29
erinmerdysentencingthumb

Coney Island mother sentenced for drowning her 3 young children in the ocean

LaGuardia

Sinkhole at LaGuardia Airport shuts down runway

00:22
o

Child injured after hand gets stuck in J train door

00:43
cooperstfatalstabbingarraign1030pZC_2026-05-19-22-42-05

Bushwick man arraigned for allegedly stabbing woman to death during domestic dispute

Inmate Death

40-year-old man dies while in custody at Rikers Island; second inmate death in 24 hours

App StoreGoogle Play Store

info

Newsletter

Send Photos/Videos

Contact

About Us

News Team

News 12 New York

follow us

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

more resources

Optimum Corporate

Optimum Service

Advertise on News 12

Careers

Content Removal Policy

© 2026 N12N, LLC

Privacy Policy

Terms of Service

Ad Choices